“Everything changes like the desert wind. Here she comes and then she’s gone again.”
Something crazy has happened – or I guess I should say, is happening. I’m leaving San Diego. And not just San Diego, I’m leaving California…indefinitely.
In the midst of editing Stagecoach interviews and celebrating my friends at their graduation festivities, my world got turned upside down and everything came to a stop. And all it took was one call. A brief 30-minute phone interview later, I found myself at the crossroads of staying somewhere I’ve grown comfortable or uprooting my entire life all the way across the country.
It was terrifying.
But after much encouragement from family members and a few friends, I’ve decided to leave San Diego and the great state of California for an unfamiliar setting: Knoxville, Tennessee. The kicker? I leave in two weeks.
As I’m scrambling to find a place to live, tying up loose ends at work and getting all my checkups in while I still have my insurance, it hit me. I’ve been blessed to be a Californian for nearly my entire life. But soon, I won’t have access to the many things I take for granted. Not only do I only have two weeks to move my life 2,000 miles away, I only have two weeks to enjoy America’s Finest City and to see friends and family.
So in an effort to fit as much as I can into my limited time frame, I’ve decided to create a California + San Diego bucket list. This list is comprised of the things I love to do, the things that I thought I’d have all the time in the world to do and all of the things I love to eat (cause God knows I love to eat). Whether you’re moving away like I am or just looking for something to do, this list is the ultimate guide:
- Eat California burrito makes the top of this list of course (bonus points if it’s a Surfin’ Cali from Lucha Libre)
- Ride the Giant Dipper at Belmont Park ✓
- See a show at Belly Up ✓
- Go paddleboarding ✓
- Hit as many brewery tours as I can
- Hike Mt. Woodson/Potato Chip Rock ✓
- Take the Ferry to Coronado
- Taco Tuesday
- Get a big ass margarita in Old Town ✓
- USS Midway ✓
- San Diego Zoo ✓
- Grab some In-N-Out
- Shop around Seaport Village and probably eat at Puesto
- Catch a sunset at Sunset Cliffs
- Swing from one of the Hidden Swings
- Conquer heights at the Suspension Bridge
- Get my Italian dark roast and gelato on at Pappalecco
- Sip a Mai Tai at Bali Hai
- Watch the sea lions at La Jolla Cove and Pier 39
- Museum-hop at Balboa Park
- Eat a Homer’s Donut from Donut Bar
- Have a bonfire
- Get a cool drink at Zymology
- Bar hop in the Gaslamp
- Make use of Disney Annual Passport
- Take a brunch cruise around the harbor
- Grab a bomb cinnamon roll from Sea & Smoke
- Go to one more live-taping in LA/Hollywood
- Go to a Giants (Padres) game
- Make one last trip to the City (San Francisco)
The clock is ticking, so let me know if you’re interested in crossing these babies off with me!